Friday, June 5, 2009

What do you think?

I just finished a book called Real Food What to Eat and Why by Nina Planck. Though I enjoyed it and found her knowledge on food and farming very interesting and enlightening, at times I thought she was a little nutty. For example she made reference to her evolutionary beliefs, and referenced a theory that there is a "missing link" because humans were sea creatures for a time. Right. On the other hand, she also quoted the bible and it's references to food. Hmm.

I just started another book, called Twilight. I was very skeptical about reading this at first because it contains vampires and I do NOT like scary things. However, I heard so much about the beautiful love story, I had to check it out and it has definitely grabbed me. Great characters and the story is very captivating so far....the love story but also the bad guy wanting to be good, not evil.  I don't know the author's (Stephanie Meyer) beliefs but the first page before the preface has the following: 

But of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil, thou shalt not eat of it: For in the day that thou eatest thereof thou shalt surely die. Genesis 2:17. 

I don't believe she put it there in a mocking way, can't be sure, but it's there all the same. She later references Noah and the ark. 

If you ever care to notice, I do, references to the Bible appear very frequently in books, television, and movies and not necessarily in the Christian category (sometimes very anti). I just think it's interesting that in a society that denies God so much that references to His word appear so often. Is it because no matter how much we push Him away He is always there? Is it because we are created in His image and are His children? Is it because, since we are His children, whether we acknowledge it or not, He lives in us? Or is it because we know (consciously or subconsciously) that the Bible is from God and contains history and life lessons that can help us today? 

What do you think?

No comments: