Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Let's Eat

Let's Eat is my favorite section of the paper. I used to clip a ton of recipes each week. Now I restrain myself to the occasional clipworthy recipe that is doable in an hour or less and has fewer then 100 ingredients. I don't know if I was just hungry today but I saw a mouthwatering recipe for Fish Tacos, which I have never had and usually don't appeal to me. I am going to try it! A Kirkwood woman created it, and she is a finalist for the Pillsbury bake-off. The shells of the tacos are fried biscuit dough, and the filling is lime marinated tilapia. Sounds awesome!!!! Btw, there was a recipe for Molasses Puffs too (Mom and Manda, I am going to try this!!). Here is the story and the recipe:


Let's Eat Recipe Card
Zesty Lime-Fish Tacos
Yield: 4 servings
1 pound tilapia fillets (about 4)

1/2 cup fresh lime juice (from 2 to 3 limes), divided

3 cloves garlic, finely chopped

1/4 cup all-purpose flour

1/4 cup yellow cornmeal

1 (16.3-ounce) can large-size refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (8 biscuits)

6 tablespoons canola oil, divided

1 1/2 tablespoons finely chopped chipotle chiles in adobo sauce

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper

1/2 cup salsa

1/2 cup sour cream

1 1/2 cups shredded cabbage

Lime wedges, for optional garnish



1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees. Cut each fish fillet lengthwise into 4 strips. In a shallow glass dish, mix 7 tablespoons lime juice with garlic. Add fish; turn to coat. Let stand while preparing biscuits.

2. On a work surface, mix flour and cornmeal. Separate dough into 8 biscuits. Press both sides of each biscuit into flour mixture, then press or roll into a 6- to 7-inch round.

3. In a 12-inch nonstick skillet, heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil over medium heat. Add 2 biscuit rounds; cook about 1 minute on each side or until golden brown and cooked through. Place on cookie sheet; keep warm in oven. Cook remaining rounds, adding 1 1/2 tablespoons oil to skillet for each batch. Wipe skillet clean.

4. Heat same skillet over medium-high heat. Add fish and lime juice mixture, chiles, salt and pepper; cook about 5 minutes, turning fish once, until fish flakes easily with fork.

5. In a small bowl, mix salsa, sour cream and remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice.

6. Using a slotted spoon, remove fish and divide evenly among biscuit rounds. Top each with cabbage and 1 to 2 tablespoons salsa mixture. Fold biscuit rounds in half over filling. Serve with any remaining salsa mixture. Garnish with lime wedges, if desired.

Per serving: 400 calories; 22g fat; 4.5g saturated fat; 40mg cholesterol; 15g protein; 35g carbohydrate; 6g sugar; 1g fiber; 860mg sodium.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Hey Mary--we eat fish tacos and love them! I do a much simplied version, though. Either I use fish sticks if I'm feeling lazy, or I cut up tilapia and coat it with some taco seasoning (not a lot) and cook it in a skillet. Then use regular toppings, and soft shells. It's a great low fat, light meal!