Monday, October 19, 2009

Fears

My son has been developing some fears lately. Of course that is natural but also a little sad for me. His fears are of things that can eat him, like lions and monsters. Of course a lion could eat him but it is highly unlikely. A monster could not, and though we have explained monsters are imaginary, he doesn't quite believe us. In fact, as I was reading him "Where the Wild Things Are" recently, he looked pretty scared and almost tearful, and it is a very innocent book.

I think the reason this makes me a little sad because I have battled fears myself, only to realize most fears are conjured up in my brain. I am my own worst enemy and I let Satan play me for a fool. Fortunately, though, God is building my spirit and is determined not to let my fears cripple me. I am already starting to sense more peace in my life and realize worrying won't give me any more control over life than I already have. All I can really do is live in the moment, for today, and trust that God has the answers. Also, I am going to teach my son to pray for peace when he is scared.

Psalm 4:8 I will lie down and sleep in peace, for you alone, O LORD, make me dwell in safety.

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Don't let anything get through the chinks in your armor!