Saturday, July 18, 2009

Chris for the third time

Maybe it is the weather, but life just seems really good the last couple of days... or it might be the fact that we did not have the children last night.  Yesterday I took a short notice vacation day and we went to The Butterfly House, which if you have not been there could also be termed "The butterfly and disgustingly-large-roach-exhibit house."  Don't get me wrong...  I loved the Butterfly House, the part where there were actual live butterflies; but I was a little surprised when one of the more prominent exhibits was a large, open-top display with no less than one billion roaches, the average of which was about 13 inches long.  I would not be surprised if they held events where the children could actually ride the roaches.  For a split second I lost sight of Abby and I immediately assumed she was swallowed whole by one of them.  These were not the cute roaches like from the movie Wall-E.  These were the gross kind that likely moved there from a dirty restaurant, and by moved, I mean they probably drove a car.  

Anyway, we went there, then last night Mary and I went and saw Harry Potter at the theater, or if you are rich, the theatre.  I have come to the conclusion that 35 year old males do not belong at the theatre at 8:30 on a Friday night during the summer.  The only people that belong there are:
  • people between the ages of 13 and 13-and-a-half
  • people with more than 2 things pierced
  • people with some type of hearing deficit, whose "whispers" during the movie are heard by other movie-goers (at other theaters)
  • people who have recently won the lottery and can afford the concessions  (for $18, my meal-deal better come with a side of crack)
So needless to say I no longer feel comfortable at the movies, or the mall, or any other place without the word "depot" in the name.  Nonetheless, we had a good time going out last night and sleeping in this morning without the kids, but you know the old saying,  "Absence makes the heart grow fonder... for more absence."

No comments: