Thursday, September 23, 2010

Back in the Saddle

Well yesterday I got back in the saddle. I pressed my clothes and made my lunch Tuesday evening. I woke early Wednesday to shower, dress, blow dry, do makeup, eat breakfast and have coffee and..............I went to work.  I finally (or actually quite quickly) got to try out substitute teaching at a public school about 15 minutes away. Luckily Papa took off work and got the kids ready and to school so I didn't have to worry about that on my first day.

Beyond that, it didn't feel like a saddle at all. Actually this animal wasn't even a horse or a beast. It was something completely different and much better than when I worked before. I was functioning on adrenaline, since I couldn't sleep much the night before, but I think I actually liked teaching. A lot. I taught computer lab and had at least six classes rotate through from K-5 grade. They worked simple programs learning typing and the functions of the mouse, so it was easy to help. Besides being a bit loud and energetic at times, most of them were bright and well-behaved. I really enjoyed interacting with them. Some of them even wanted to give me hugs. I know I have a lot to learn, some of the teachers have those kids reined in like nobodies business. I could also tell kids test the waters a bit with subs, especially since the subs don't know who all of them are, but I want to try again and I am praying to see if even more teaching  might be in my future.

No comments: