Thursday, November 19, 2009

Great Expectations

"Blessed is the man who expects nothing, for he shall never be disappointed" -Alexander Pope

***modified version for ML****"Blessed is the man who expects little, for he won't be as heartbroken with disappointment" -MS

I searched for this quote today after pondering this lately. I really want to be a laid back person who doesn't expect much and is delighted in most everything. I also am cementing the biblical principle in my mind that every experience is valuable whether good, bad, or indifferent.

I guess lately I have been involved in some grass roots efforts here and there and God is whispering to me "if it benefits at least one and pulls them towards me, it is worth the effort. Even if that person is you".


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, don't hate me, but I think I disagree with this quote. Isn't it like saying "you miss 100% of the shots you don't make."? Shouldn't we have goals and dreams and something to reach for? If you don't set expectations for yourself or your children, then sure, you won't be disappointed, but you also won't have a purpose in life. You won't have anything to accomplish as well as lessons learned by mistakes that you've made along the way.
Hmm, maybe I am misreading the quote. Maybe if it were in context.

budmom said...

I think we are thinking along different lines. I think expectations and dreams are very different. I am also thinking especially outside of my family unit.

Also, I am thinking in terms of projects and working with others. You can't have it "my way or the highway" and even when you do have a plan, God can quickly change it. I want to be open to that and never disappointed because something didn't go the way I had originally planned in my mind. Although, when you think about it, this may apply to our family unit too. Maybe we will have to agree to disagree.....

Anonymous said...

I totally agree with being open to God changing your plans. It's the whole "his ways are higher than our ways and his thoughts are higher than our thoughts" thing. Isaiah 55, I think. And you are right in wanting to avoid the "my way or the highway" attitude. But to think that we will never be disappointed is, well setting your self up for disappointment. It's part of life. Maybe it's how you handle the disappointment that you want to work on??

budmom said...

I agree disappointment is part of life. It's one thing you can count on. I think that's why my experiences have led me to not set expectations, or not high ones anyway. I actually read this quote and had very positive feelings about it not negative. I'm sorry if you didn't find it as inspiring as I did. Opposites attract, right? lol.