Sunday, August 9, 2009

I want to be clay

I am reading this cute book....it's called "All I Need is Jesus and a Good Pair of Jeans" by Susanna Foth Aughtmon. I actually read a little of this author's writing in a magazine and thought I would really like her book. It is great, easy to read, relatable, and spiritually practical (if that is even a thing). 

Here are some of the chapter titles: 1) I am oh so tired 2) I am not a supermodel 3) I have pride issues 4) I worry about things 5) I forget there is no more condemnation in Christ 6) I want chocolate to solve my problems.........17) I am not sure of my purpose in life. I skipped to 17 because it related to "I want to be clay". Chapter 17 talks about how Susanna, the author, struggled to find her calling, and even when she finally did, didn't really feel confident about it. However, it was because she wasn't asking God what He had planned. So finally she realized WHAT God really wants from us is for us to be clay.......to be moldable, flexible, and teachable. To listen and to put into action where he is calling us to be. Which, I think, sometimes can be very simple when we take our own agenda out of the equation. 

She is funny too. I laughed out loud at some of the things she said because I had been there, done that. There was one time I teared up when she said this: "I'm not sure how I became aware of all the sin in my life, but the craziest thing is the more I move toward God, the more I am in his presence, the more aware I am of how sinful I am." (Chapter 7 - I sin a lot). I teared up because it was a relief to hear someone else say that. I have had that run through my head, and think, "This stinks! Why does it have to be this way?" but then I remember the WHOLE point, Chapter 5) There is no more condemnation in Christ..........and as Susanna states too, it takes us a lot of times to get it and A LOT of forgiveness too. 

So I recommend this read (I am almost done, you can borrow mine if you call dibbs). I also highly recommend people getting on Good Reads so we can swap books or ask questions about good reads. 

No comments: